Sunday 24 May 2015

Importance of Insulin on low carb diets

This is something that you can find all over the internet but I just wanted to add in my notes, probably nothing new but it is something that I feel should be covered.

Carbohydrates (sugar) as I am sure you all know has a massive impact on your insulin levels. Too much carbohydrate (especially the bad kind) leads to too much insulin and this leads to obesity. This is because insulin controls fat storage.

Think about things this way, you body takes in loads of carbs, what is it going to use for energy? Carbs

Your body can get all of the energy it needs because you just ate a chocolate bar, your body goes hey I have sugar better chuck out some insulin. Insulin then aids your cells in getting this sugar into cells, not only this but it also tells your body "I have loads of sugar so chuck any fat into storage and make sure I am not getting any energy from fat". Well basically that is what happens.

Also look at it this way, the more insulin you release the more used to it your cells get and they start to ignore the signals so you release more insulin and so you ignore the fat even more. Soon your body spirals out of control and has a thirst for carbs and is ignoring all the fat that is building up round your belly.

Anyway that is my take on insulin and why it is important on a low carb diet. There is evidence on lots of website and in loads of medical journals etc to show the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment